Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Compassion

Good Morning my sweet friends, praying that you are all doing well. I have really been thinking about compassion lately, and learning more about it. In 2 Corinthians 1:4-5, it says:The God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles,so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. How very true those verses are, I have found them so real in my own life. Since my mom passed away back in april, I have been deeply griefing her loss. As Christmas approaches, it gets harder and harder. This was her favorite time of the year, she loved everything about Christmas. Her eyes would light up when she would see all the beautiful lights and decorations, and of course, she loved to decorate. We will be going down to Alabama on the 16 to take Christmas flowers, and gifts to her gravesite, it breaks my heart. I know she is in a much better place, and in no more pain, I am forever grateful for that. But, Christmas without her, hurts so much. Please always remember this, when someone loses a loved one, do not just reach out with love and compassion towards them during the first few days or weeks after it happens, and then forget them. On december 21, it will be 8 months since my mom passed away, it seems like just yesterday to me. People need to learn to show more compassion, and show it more often. So many people are really hurting, the holidays are very hard on alot of people. The most suicides occur during the holiday season, there really is such a thing as having a blue Christmas. Please pray for those hurting, reach out with compassion to someone you know that is hurting, in doing so, you will be comforted. Blessings to you all.

6 comments:

Unashamed said...

What you said is so true. In the first days and weeks after you lose someone, others rally around to show their love and support and compassion. But inevitably they go back to their everyday lives and the one who is grieving is now doubly left alone - first from losing a loved one, and second from the loss of support and compassion of others that they still need. Of course, as Christians, we are never truly alone and can rest in the arms of our Saviour and Best Friend. But it is good to remind others that their love and compassion continues to be needed long after a death occurs. My pastor wrote a really nice letter about this very thing. I am going to try to find it and put it up on my blog, ok?

Allison said...

*HUGS*
I agree that people need to be more compassionate - not just now, but during every time of the year. My grandfather passed away some years ago and I was very close with him and it still hurts - as he passed away just 5 days before Christmas. I also can't imagine what it is like for my grandmother right now - She lives all alone in the same home she and her husband of over 50 years shared..I can't imagine that feeling, and honestly am terrified of it. Anyway, people need to learn to reach out to one another all of the time - especially we Christians. My fiance and his sister just went to go volunteer for Thanksgiving at a retirement home where people were left with no one to visit them - some even asked my fiance "When are my children coming to visit" of course not knowing that they had been forgotten about...So sad. How dare we forget the less fortunate this time of year - from pets to people...everyone and every thing needs someone to love and appreciate them. Thank you for reminding us of this my friend :) I love you

Lisa said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you at this time. Very true post. Hugs to you, Eileen

Debbie said...

Yes, this is so true. People tend to be creatures of habit and revert back to their regular routines after loss. I pray that you feel the comfort of our Lord continuously during this season and that each memory of your mother will fill your heart with His peace.

Denise said...

Like your new blog. Been missing talking to you.