Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Proverbial Sunrise- Forgiveness




Do you want to get well?
John 5:6 NIV


That's what Jesus asked this man. For 38 years "his condition" had brought him the sympathy of others. It also gave him the excuse to say, "I'm not responsible." Wrong! All of us are responsible for two things - our attitudes and our decisions! We've all been hurt, but if you're still using it 20 years later, you're not a victim by circumstance, you're a victim by choice. You ask, "What's a victim?" Somebody who thinks that negative attention is better than no attention at all.


Jesus said, "If ye do not forgive, neither will your Father… forgive your trespasses" (Mark 11:26). Those words presuppose that somebody has hurt you. They also hold you responsible for your reaction to that person. Jesus said "If you don't forgive, you won't receive forgiveness." Whatever others may have taken from you in the past, if you remain bitter, they'll take even more from you in the future. Maybe you're thinking, "If they'd just come back and ask my forgiveness… Is that what you're waiting for? Don't waste your time! The key to happiness is in your hands, not theirs. That key is forgiveness!


Are you waiting for someone to say "I forgive you" before you can forgive yourself and move on? What if they never do? Here's what you need to do:
(1) apologise;
(2) make amends if you can;
(3) forgive yourself;
(4) move on (
Philippians 3:13). Do you really want to get well? These are the steps!

13 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

Very good post, Denise. People's attitudes are responsible for so much of their sickness. Unforgiveness and anger hurt the body harboring it.
I hope you're having a wonderful morning.
Mama Bear

Sue said...

Good Morning Denise,
What a great devotional today, I was reminded of a time when I had unforgiveness in my heart, and had carried it for such a long time, and how unhappy I was while carrying it, but thank God He one day set me free and I can't tell you of the joy and happiness I felt. And how much healthier I was and am.

And when the Lord allowed our paths to cross with the person who had hurt me, I immediately went toward them and put my arms around them and told them how much I loved them and really meant.
Oh! my! I still feel like shouting, what an Awesome God we serve, I am so amazed at how patient God always is with us.
Blessings, and Hugs,
Sue

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing!

Sweet Blessings said...

Your new layout looks great! Forgiveness-a wonderful reminder:) Blessings!
Amanda

Daveda said...

The great thing is, even if we do not know how to forgive, when we continually look to Jesus He will show us how, every time!

April said...

You always have such a way of putting everything in the proper perspective...BIG THANKS!♥

Samantha said...

Beautiful post and reminder.
Thank you dear sweet Denise.
Praying you have a blessed Monday.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and oh so true Denise. Forgiveness truly sets you free. Blessings!

Peggy said...

Love you Denise! Sweet blessings and showers of His forgiveness over us! May our hearts & choices be HIS in everything! Moving forward is so much better. Thanks for your reminder with great scriptures & wise words!(hugs)

Leaon Mary said...

Words of wisdom!!
I too am movin ON Denise!!!
WALKIN IN FAITH
<*)))><

Love your new look here!!

Rebecca said...

Simply put, and true. Too bad so many people really DON'T want to be well!

Karen said...

Loved this devotion...especially
"The key to happiness is in your hands, not theirs. That key is forgiveness!"

Cheptoek said...

Thank you Denise for this post. I have been away so I am just catching up on your posts. This one directly spoke to me and challenged me and made me see reality. I needed all that. Thank you!