Creating a First Aid Kit for your Family
Creating a family first aid kit is an essential to ensuring that in the event of any type of emergency, you can have the supplies that are necessary to treat injuries and any type of sickness that may occur. There are many devastating events that may occur in an unexpected manner when it comes to you, your spouse, and your children. These events may include mild to serious burns, falls, slips, cuts, and even an assortment of sicknesses that are viral or bacterial in basis. There are certain types of situations that simply do not require the attention of a doctor, but do require immediate attention to prevent future complications. This is where a first aid kit comes in handy. In this how-to manual, I will share with you how to go about creating a family first aid kit that can come in handy in the event of these situations.
When creating a family first aid kit, there are many over-the-counter medications that should be included. Always check with your family physician about which over-the-counter meds are safe for your family and to ensure proper dosage. Also make sure to read all warning labels. The following are just ideas what to include and is not intended to diagnose or prescribe. Below are a few medications you may wish to include after consulting with your doctor or health care provider:
• It is important to ensure that you include Aspirin in your kit. This particular medication is effective in reducing fever in individuals with infections in the body, as well as relieving pain associated with a number of illnesses and injuries. In addition to this, taking this can reduce and/or eliminate swelling and various types of inflammation. It acts a natural blood thinner, so it can reduce the possibility that clots will form in the blood when a serious injury occurs, and can even reduce the possibility of heart attack. It is also deemed as an appropriate precautionary measure to preventing stroke in certain individuals.
• Acetaminophen is also an essential when it comes to a first aid kit created for the family. This is especially beneficial to use in place of Aspirin for children and teenagers that are under the age of eighteen. Typically, this drug is used to reduce a fever and also any pain associated with injury and/or illness. This is also an appropriate choice when it comes to women who are attempting to conceive, are pregnant, or are nursing a newborn in the family. It is considered a safety measure and/or alternative for those who are allergic to Aspirin as well.
• Having an Antacid is an important element of a family first aid kit. These types of medications work to eliminate the effects of heartburn, indigestion, and also a stomach that has gone sour by working to balance the acids that are a natural part of the stomach. Users who have ulcers or even mild to severe bouts of gas can benefit from Antacids.
• You should be sure to put some laxatives in your kit as well. These are effective in assisting the proper elimination of waste that accumulates in the body, and reducing the chance for toxins to accumulate in the body. In addition to this, these OTC medications can prove to be helpful in making the stools softer so that little to no discomfort is experienced when it comes to constipation.
When creating a family first aid kit, it is absolutely essential to include cleansing agents. These are products that are typically used in cleaning wounds that have resulted from various types of injuries. Effective cleansing agents include the following:
• Alcohol – This cleansing agent works as a cleansing agent to scrapes, wounds, and more. In addition to this, it can be used on those that have deep muscle and/or bone pain. It is important to ensure that this agent is only used in areas that are ventilated properly. Drinking and/or inhaling this can prove to be quite dangerous.
• Peroxide – This agent is effective when it comes to cleaning the skin, as well as sanitizing various surfaces. In addition to this, it is considered to be an antiseptic that can reduce the development and/or spread of infection in humans and animals alike.
• Antibacterial Soap – This particular type of soap that is effective in eliminating potentially harmful types of bacteria. In addition to this, it kills microbes, which are living organisms that can only be seen through a microscope that cause illnesses and infections to occur.
• Eye Wash – This is a substance that is used to eliminate toxins, chemicals, and other intrusive items from the eyes through the means of flushing. No family first aid kit should be without this powerful cleansing agent for the eyes. Be sure to pack at least one eye wash container for each family member and write their name on the bottle.
There are many different types of ointments that should be contained within the first aid kit of a family. The following detail these:
• Antibiotic Ointment – This type of ointment works to prevent infections in wounds that are open, and actually work to promote the overall healing process of those injuries.
• Burn Ointments – This does basically the same thing as the antibiotic ointment in that it helps to prevent and/or eliminate infection, and promote the process of healing. However, it also creates a moisture barrier that is actually soothing to the skin.
Basic Medical Supplies
In addition to the very important items previously mentioned, it is important to ensure that you have certain basic medical supplies when creating a family first aid kit. These include that of:
• An assortment of bandages
• Bandage Tape
• Ace Bandages
• Dressings that are Sterile
• Warming Blankets
• And, more!
When to See a Doctor
Many medical emergencies often call for a simple family first aid kit, but there are instances when medical treatment should be sought as soon as possible. It is important that you know and understand when this is necessary so that you may work to protect the individuals of your family. If any of the following is experienced, be sure to seek medical help immediately:
• If it is an emergency that threatens the life of a family member, be sure to call 911 immediately and begin first aid procedures with your family first aid kit.
• If the emergency threatens the actual limbs of an individual, such as the arms, call for urgent assistance.
• If the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, or hands become endangered, it is time for assistance.
• Individuals who may be having a potential stroke or even a heart attack should be seen by a doctor immediately – remember, "Every second counts…."
• If you find that a person is losing a lot of blood, cover the wound and get to the hospital.
If you take the time to follow the guidelines for creating a family first aid kit here, you are likely to discover that you are properly prepared for just about any emergency that your family faces.