Monday, October 15, 2007

In The Kitchen-Baked Chili




2 pounds beef stew meat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 pounds onions, chopped 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles 3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes 4 dried whole red chili peppers, crushed 2 bay leaves 3 whole cloves 2 tablespoons chili powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon paprika Preheat oven to 300°F.
In a large oven-safe pan, brown stew meat in vegetable oil over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Add onion and green bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chili peppers, bay leaves, cloves, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika; mix well. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Remove bay leaf prior to serving. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds delicious. I'm going to make a note of it and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Mary

Sharon said...

Sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I believe this is the first time I've heard of baked chili. I love chili! I bet this is good. Is it really spicy?

Take care and I hope you're having a wonderful day!
Karen
http://thetagblog.blogspot.com/

Jules said...

I'm going to try this next week, Denise! Thanks for the yummy recipe, I LOVE chili!!!

Love and Prayers,

Julie