Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Am Bible Study-Lesson 8


1) Have you ever been in a situation where you had to "go back" to a place of shame or ridicule? At my mommas funeral last April, I had to face seeing my two brothers, and my dad. They are filled with such hate, and hard feelings toward me. How did that make you feel? It made me very sad, and uncomfortable. I long for reconcilation with them. 2) Is there any circumstance in your life that still has you running for cover? Yes Share if you feel comfortable. One of my brothers has extremely harsh feelings toward me, he has told people that if anything should ever happen to me, to not bother calling him, because he will not care. Whenever I think there is an occasion that I might possibly see him, I get so nervous, and scared. I do not want to feel this way for the rest of my life, it really hurts. I will continue to pray that God will soften his heart towards me, that is all I can do. 3) When is the last time you felt like an overcomer? When I was a teenager, I was sexually abused by my stepfather. He passed away a few years ago, and I felt no closure at all. I continued to have nightmares about him. My husband got a picture of my stepfather from my momma, and we went to where he was buried. As my husband stood by my side holding onto me, I began to release all the feelings that I had carried on the inside of me for years. I told my stepfather how he had hurt me, and that he had no right, to do what he did to me. I screamed till I could barely talk, and cried till my eyes were swollen. We burned the picture, and scattered it over his grave. Before we left, we prayed, and then I told my stepfather that it was now over, that he no longer had any control over me, and that I forgave him. 4) If you have not yet taken the serpent by the tail, are you willing to stop running, take hold,and trust God to transform it into a tool for wonders? Yes, I am very willing to trust God with every area of my life. 5) I would like for you to write down this statement based on 1 John 2:14 somewhere you will see it often this week: "I am strong, the word of God abides in me, and I have overcome the evil one." Memorize it. Say it over and over, until you believe it. Will you do this? Yes, I will do this, I will put it on top of my computer, and on my mirrors.

9 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

what a powerful illustration of your 'taking it by the tail' with the scene at your stepfather's grave. it sounds like you're moving forward to God's glory.

YOU ARE STRONG, THE WORD OF GOD ABIDES IN YOU, AND YOU HAVE OVERCOME THE EVIL ONE! :)

blessings on you denise!

Lisa

Connie Barris said...

wow.. you have some major wounds there.. I can hear in your voice that some have not healed... definitely.. would do well walking through some Godly counseling... and allowing BUT.. it also sounds like you have come ALONG ways....

When your brothers... and family no longer make you nervous or define you... you will be well on your way to having that old monster by the tail....

You so deserve that and that is what God wants for you....

Freedom... Peace

love you so much

Diane Viere said...

Here by way of the The Preacher's Wife. I have been lurking my way through this Bible Study....and just wanted to tell you how much your post touched my heart. I too am an overcomer.....and as I read the part about your husband standing at the gravesite with you...I my spirit rejoiced, knowing that what the enemy meant for harm.....God was using for good. You are no longer a victim...you are victorious! We stand on a firm foundation...one that can not be shaken by the enemy's attacks. While I don't even know you...I am so proud of you...and rejoice with for putting the enemy on notice! Truly, you are shining example of sending light into the darkness!

Diane

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dear Denise,
I am praying for health and healing for you of some of these wounds you are such a wonderful sister and friend. I am sorry for your hurt but so proud of how you are handling it . The Lord loves you precious sweet one.

Hugs and Love always and forever,

Angel ():)

Glenda Christina said...

Wow I have not visited here in a while and I have been missing out! I am learning so much just off of three posts so far. I can tell I want to be here a while!
Praise God (wow did I say that? it has been a while) about your time of healing as painful as it is.

Gretchen said...

Dear Lord,

I pray your healing hand upon Denise as she deals with the hate and anger of her brothers and father. Father, she is Your good and faithful servant, and is such an encouragement to others. I ask that you bless her, and encourage her. She doesn't need to let them affect her anymore. Yours is the only opinion which counts. I pray your hand on her as she establishes and keeps boundaries and guards her heart against evil. Lord, I pray that you would bind the enemy and protect Denise's heart. Thank you for her wonderful example of godliness on her blog (and life) in Jesus' name, amen.

Nise' said...

Father, our sister Denise longs for reconciliation with her father and brothers. We bring this desire to You, the master of reconciliation and lay it at your feet. Comfort and heal Denise as she waits on your timing in this matter.

Lord, our God, show Denise the wonder of Your great love, You who save her by Your right hand as she takes refuge in You from her foes. Keep her as the apple of Your eye; hide her in the shadow of Your wings, from the wicked who assail her. (Psalm 17:7-9)

Amen

Miriam Pauline said...

((Denise)) You are overcoming and that shines in your posts. I pray that you continue to feel God's healing in your life (and maybe someday you will see it in your brothers' lives as well). Praying for you.

Deborah said...

I am so overcome by emotion reading your post today, girl you have overcome and this word is your testimony, I pray that you go from glory to glory.